Boost your sound reproduction on your trip with a subwoofer
Car audio is an important part of the joy of traveling for many. A well-functioning and high-quality sound system makes driving pleasant and listening to music enjoyable. Car subwoofers are key when you want to get the most out of your car in terms of sound reproduction. In this article, we will discuss different types of car subwoofers - subwoofers, their placement in different spaces and installation.
Different types of subwoofers in the car
There are many types of car subwoofers available, and the choice depends on your own preferences and needs. Here are some common types of car subwoofers:
- Active subwoofers: These subwoofers include a built-in amplifier, making them easy to install directly into your car's audio system. They are often compact and are perfect for smaller cars where space is limited.
- The passive ones subwoofers: These subwoofers need a separate amplifier to operate. They are usually more efficient and are well suited for cars where you want strong and deep bass.
- Concealed subwoofers: If you want to keep the interior of your car stylish and minimalist, concealed subwoofers are a great option. They can be installed in car compartments or under the seats, so they don't take up extra space in sight.
Various styles and sizes - Like a 10" subwoofer
Subbars are available in several different size categories. Roughly speaking, a larger cone size means more sound, but it's not exactly that straightforward. We have available for example grab 8" subwoofers, powerful 10" subwoofers mixed larger 12" subwoofers. Some of the subwoofers are intended more for sound quality and some only for sound pressure. We serve all needs, but we focus especially on subwoofers that offer good sound quality. The most popular size category is 10" subwoofers, of which there are many available for different types of installation locations and needs.
Subbar placement in different spaces
The placement of the car subwoofer greatly affects the sound quality and bass reproduction. Here are some common places to place a subwoofer:
- In the trunk: The trunk is a common place to place a subwoofer, especially active subwoofers. They can be installed in the corners of the trunk or directly on the floor of the trunk. This location enables efficient bass reproduction and easy installation. Typically installed in the trunk enclosed subwoofer.
- Under the seat: Concealed subwoofers can be placed under the seats. This is a good option if you want to keep the interior of the car tidy and the space optimized. For example, Focal ISUB TWIN fits under the seat. Focal's subwoofer has an excellent price-quality ratio and surprisingly good sound.
- To the central tunnel: In some cars, the central tunnel can provide a suitable space for a subwoofer. This location enables smooth bass reproduction throughout the entire passenger area.
- To the doors: In some cars, the doors can provide space for smaller subwoofers. This position enables the bass to be evenly distributed inside the car.
Installing the subwoofer
Installing a subwoofer can require a bit of technical know-how, but it is possible to do it yourself if you have the necessary tools and knowledge. If you do not feel confident in the installation, you should contact a professional.
Here are some tips for installing a subwoofer:
- Check the condition of the car: Before starting the installation, check that the subwoofer fits in the location you have chosen and that it is compatible with your car's audio system.
- Mount the subwoofer securely: Make sure the subwoofer is securely mounted so it doesn't vibrate and make extra noise while driving.
- Correct wiring: Use quality cables to connect the subwoofer to the amplifier and car audio system. High-quality cables ensure efficient signal transmission and improve the quality of sound reproduction.
- Adjust the settings: Once the subwoofer is installed, adjust its volume and frequency to complement the sound of the other speakers.
In premium class cars, a subwoofer is standard equipment
The cheapest cars usually do not have a subwoofer as standard equipment. Instead, car manufacturers in the higher price category, such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes, have started to include a subwoofer as part of high-quality sound reproduction, starting with mid-range models. During the design phase of the car, careful consideration is given to the placement of the subwoofer and possible reflex boxes. Especially luxury car models, such as the Audi A5 or A7, offer high-quality audio system options such as JBL, Harman/Kardon and Bang & Olufsen.
A subwoofer boosts the sound reproduction of your car
Car subwoofers are a great way to enhance the car's sound reproduction and get a rich and powerful sound environment in the passenger compartment. Choose the right subwoofer according to your needs and preferences. Also remember to check the condition of the car before installation and fasten the subwoofer firmly in place. High-quality cables and the right settings are key to achieving good sound reproduction.
Read our buying guide on purchasing a car subwoofer
In our car subwoofer buying guide: "What is the best car subwoofer?" we discuss in more detail what to consider when purchasing a subwoofer!
Hifitalo - Your sound reproduction expert
If you are unsure about the right subwoofer for your needs, our expert salespeople will help you choose the most suitable option within your budget. Hifitalo offers a wide range of high-quality audio equipment to ensure you get the best value for your money. Improve your listening experience with a car subwoofer and enjoy high-quality sound at home and on the go. We can too to install a subwoofer for you.